Meet Dr. Edward Romano
Dr. Edward Romano is a native of Bedminster/Far Hills, New Jersey. He holds the distinction of being one of the first dentists in New Jersey to work, train, and teach both cosmetic dentistry and laser dentistry. A past President of the New Jersey chapter of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, Dr. Romano has been in private practice here in Morristown since 1987 and is known as a leader in the field of cosmetic dentistry. He is extensively trained and experienced with a full array of general, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry procedures. In fact, one of Dr. Romano’s favorite treatments is the Smile Makeover, a procedure that combines a number of cosmetic dentistry options to address a comprehensive range of dental concerns. Dr. Romano believes this treatment can not only change smiles, but also change lives.
“Our philosophy is simple: care for and educate our patients so they can enjoy an aesthetically-appealing smile. There is no better feeling as a dentist then giving someone a healthy smile they are proud of. They become more confident and happy. It starts a whole cascade of good in so many people. It is the best feeling I could have to bring that to a patient.”
Education And Honors
Dr. Romano always wanted a career in the healthcare field, and was drawn into dentistry at an early age while observing his mother, a dental hygienist. His educational background includes:
- Georgetown University School of Dentistry – DDS
- The Catholic University Of America – BS in Biology
Dr. Romano is strongly committed to the pursuit of continuing dental education in order to provide patients with the latest, most advanced treatments and techniques. In fact, he has more than doubled the state requirement for continuing education year after year. This dedication to furthering his knowledge and skills, particularly in the fields of Aesthetic Dentistry and Occlusion, reflects his commitment to bring his patients the most satisfying and long-term results possible.
In addition to his services here at Aesthetic Smiles of New Jersey, Dr. Romano continues to teach as an Attending Dentist at the Morristown Medical Center Dental Residency Program. He has also been honored with the position of Dental Ambassador at the prestigious Dawson Academy, an institution known among dentists as the most respected program for learning Dental Occlusion. Dr. Romano also had the privilege to be a student and then a guest instructor at Dr. Larry Rosenthal’s Aesthetic Advantage Program, a famous dental teaching academy.
“We try to make the experience as pleasant as possible. We have the most modern and up-to-date technology. We have integrity, and we are honest. We go out of our way to help our patients understand the entire process. Seeing my patients understand dentistry and creating a personal relationship with them are some of the things I enjoy most about being a dentist; helping them to enjoy (or at least not dread) coming to the office for treatment.”
Media Appearances And Lectures
If Dr. Romano seems like a familiar face, it may be due to the fact that he has appeared in numerous television programs to offer his expertise on topics related to dentistry. He was the featured dentist in a story covering laser dentistry on Dateline NBC, and has made appearances on CNN, CNN International, MSNBC, WPIX, and the Better Homes and Gardens Network. He is also a prolific speaker, having lectured across the country at a variety of prestigious conferences and symposia, including the ADA National Meeting in San Francisco, the Greater New York Dental Society Meeting, the Washington DC Dental Meeting, and the Paragon Management Group. He has also been invited to lecture at numerous study clubs, including the Morris Seminars Group right here in Morristown.
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry – Sustaining member for 20 years
- American Dental Association
- American Academy of General Dentistry
- New Jersey Dental Association
- Tri County Dental Association
In addition to the many services available at Aesthetic Smiles of New Jersey, Dr. Romano and our dental team are committed to giving back to the community. We are involved with the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry’s Give Back a Smile program, as well as the state of New Jersey’s Donated Dental Services program, which offers free dental care for the needy. We also collect for our armed forces overseas and for needy communities throughout the year.
Dr. Romano has been married to his beloved wife Anne for nearly 30 years, whom he regards as the love of his life and his best friend. He enjoys athletics, good food and wine, travel, and being with good friends and family. Dr. Romano’s hobbies include loving cars, golf, and weight-lifting. “I’m very proud of my 415lb bench press at 52 years old. Wow though, I’m still sore.”
What Is A Cosmetic Dentist?
A cosmetic dentist is trained in a special branch of dentistry dedicated to furthering the appearance and health of your teeth and gums beyond routine check-ups and dental cleanings. Cosmetic dentists not only work to improve your oral wellness with measures involving preventive care and gum disease treatment, but they also seek to achieve your dream smile. With innovative procedures designed to optimize the condition of your oral structures and restore the proportions of a youthful and healthy tooth structure, those who practice cosmetic dentistry hope to enhance your smile aesthetic in such a way that positively affects your confidence and quality of life. This may involve replacing missing teeth, correcting bite misalignments, straightening crooked teeth, repairing chips or cracks in enamel, addressing gaps, or brightening discolored teeth, among many other objectives. No matter what your reasons for treatment may be, an experienced cosmetic dentist is adept in creating personalized treatment plans that can accomplish your goals with services that range from porcelain veneers and dental implants to a complete smile makeover.
How To Choose The Best Cosmetic Dentist For You
Selecting the right dentist for your unique needs can be essential to receiving the results you desire. In order to ensure you are in the hands of a well-qualified cosmetic dentist, our team has outlined a few tips to help you navigate your decision:
- Research background and credentials: Read your prospective dentist’s biography to learn about their educational background and where they received their training. This can help you gain an understanding of how long he or she has been in practice, what professional affiliations they belong to, and whether they are adequately experienced in your treatment of interest.
- Read testimonials: There is often no better way to learn about the patient experience at a practice than by exploring online dentist reviews from a broad range of platforms. Testimonials are usually compiled on the practice’s website, but third-party reviewing sites such as Facebook and Google can provide further insight into the type of care you can expect to receive.
- See patient showroom: Before-and-after photos of actual treatment results are typically excellent indicators of what can be achieved with a given procedure. Most practices have a showroom or “smile gallery” featuring a diverse range of patients with similar concerns to yours. This resource can allow you to familiarize yourself with your prospective dentist’s work and gauge whether the results align with your desires.
- Learn about the practice’s technology: The most effective cosmetic dentistry is committed to using up-to-date, advanced treatment protocols to enhance the beauty and function of your teeth. Discover whether your prospective dentist utilizes the latest innovations, such as sedation dentistry or the CEREC® system. More often than not, use of state-of-the-art equipment and technology leads to more comfortable treatment and better results when compared to traditional methods.
Questions To Ask Your Cosmetic Dentist
Once you have researched your options, the next step of the process involves scheduling a consultation. This can be a valuable opportunity to meet your prospective dentist, gauge whether you feel comfortable in their care, and gain a sense of the rapport established. While your inquiries should not be limited to the following list, these questions can serve as examples to help guide your discussion:
- How long have you been in practice?
- Do you specialize in any particular treatments or procedures?
- On average, how many times do you perform my treatment of interest?
- What kind of equipment or technology is used when performing my chosen treatment?
- Do you belong to any professional memberships or organizations?
- Do you regularly attend continuing education courses?
- Can I see before and after photos?
If you have any additional questions, or would like to schedule a consultation, please don’t hesitate to contact our practice today.
I came to Dr. Romano 2 months before my wedding with a smile I hated. I put off dental work for a long time but Dr. Romano and staff worked with my schedule and gave me a beautiful smile for my wedding!
August 29, 2017